News

American man who bet to eat world’s hottest pepper Naga/Bhut Jolokia burned a HOLE in his throat

northeast_chilli_bhut-jolokia-chilli-peppers_naga
Jason McNabb

The 47-year-old American who thought it would be cool to chew down some Naga Bhut jolokia, world’s hottest chilli, in a contest ended up with a burned hole in his throat.

“He ate a burger smothered in puree made of it and within seconds he started to vomit violently that eventually tore a hole in his esophagus,” reported the DailyMail.

He was taken to the emergency room and surgeons who performed an abdomen and pelvic scan discovered an inch-wide hole in the left side of his throat.

According to the Journal of Emergency Medicine, the man was given a feeding tube for 23 days as he recovered. Medics said, “This medical complication is known as Boerhaave syndrome, and sufferers commonly develop potentially fatal shocks or sepsis. The first case was reported in 1724.”

MORE: The Flash ate World’s hottest chilli Naga Jolokia to ask out a date in the popular American TV series

The chilli peppers which is only found in the Northeastern states of India, measures 1,000,000 on the Scoville scale, and is 400 times hotter than Tabasco sauce.

On 19 June 2013, Jason McNabb (USA) set a ‘Guinness World Records Unleashed” for eating the most Naga Bhut Jolokia chilli peppers (66 grams) in two minutes in Los Angeles, California.

// Trending Now

To Top